Two weeks ago, the pumpkin shipment finally arrived on Okinawa!!! Being a sub tropical climate, pumpkins do not necessarily grow well here, hence waiting for the much anticipated shipment. In typical Okinawa fashion, I went right away to buy my three pumpkins for carving. I show up.... sold out. I wait another week and alas, a new shipment has arrived! I scurry down to the Commissary, trying to be a good Mom and pick the three nicest looking pumpkins with out mold I could find. They were simply beautiful. I snatched them up right away because that is the rule on Okinawa: If you see it, buy it because it won't be there the next day. I returned to my concrete palace thinking how sweet the victory in buying my pumpkins and placed the pumpkins on my front step with pride.
The boys were thrilled to each have their own pumpkins to carve and were already plotting what their face would look like... would they go scary, funny or traditional? The options were endless...
Today was to be Carving Day in the House of Payne. This morning I went to check on the pumpkins. Rotten. Completely rotted out. NO carving for the Paynes this Halloween. Lesson learned: Pumpkins do not appreciate the Okinawa Heat. Let's hope that Christmas trees fare better...
October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







3 comments:
Don't have that problem in Saratoga. The frost is literally on the pumpkin here !!
We don't have that problem in Saratoga. The frost is literally on the pumpkin !!!
Have Scott bring three back with him....better late than not until next year! It is an idea!
xoxo Grandma BoBo
Post a Comment