Our Family

Our Family

July 15, 2010

A Look Back in Time

Last week we were excited to host my parents and my sister at the Payne B and B.  Shannon is in the process of making that difficult transition from Navy Doc to Civilian Doctor.  In the middle of that change comes a move from Rota, Spain to Williamsburg, VA.  Having just been through the overseas transition ourselves, we can totally understand where Shannon and Carlos are coming from!  It is not easy.  Shannon was able to get some leave and come to VA for a week in search of a home for her hubby and three precious daughters.  After her crammed packed house hunting adventure, she and Grammy and Papa came to visit us and to celebrate a major milestone birthday for yours truly.  We had a wonderful visit!

Friday, we decided that we would visit Mount Vernon, George and Martha Washington's home.  It was an awesome experience!  I have always enjoyed visiting places like Mount Vernon.  It is so easy for me to think about what it was like to walk the same paths 200 year ago.  This visit, I came to the conclusion that I have grown far too accustomed to modern day conveniences like say, a toilet, electricity, air conditioning (especially air conditioning) and my mini van.  However, I also think that in this fast paced life of convenience, we have lost a great deal.  Rare is the family meal where every member is "available" to sit down together and enjoy each other's company.  We have lost simple hospitality of having guests come enjoy a meal, sit in the parlor and listen to our friends play their instruments or play a game of cards.  How well do we really know each other?  Interactions today seem so surfacy and superficial in many ways.  When I compare the two eras, I think I would enjoy living in George's time just a little more than modern day...  but only if I can bring the air conditioning with me!

First we took a boat ride on the Potomac...



Thinking they are too cool for school with their ICB rootbeer...

Andrew loves his Grammy talks...

Grammy and Papa

Martha, George and the boys...

View from the Potomac

View from the Bowling Green

My sister and me!

1 comment:

Tragord said...

I just love that place!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs