Our Family

Our Family

January 18, 2011

Friendship

God is so good.  As a military family we have had the privilege of living in various parts of the United States and overseas.  There are times that I feel sad that we have moved as much as we have.  My kids have gone to many different elementary and middle schools.  We have been members of several different churches.  I have had more neighbors than I can count as our neighborhoods (especially on base) have rotated houses so often my head spins.  I have felt sad that my kids do not have the photos for their scouting ceremonies or graduation ceremonies that show them growing up with the same group of kids since kindergarten.  You know the ones I am talking about.  Kindergarten birthday parties, Tiger Cub meetings, class trips to the zoo etc.

I was reminded of something very special this weekend.  While we have had a lot of change in our lives over the years, God has proven Himself faithful over and over again.  He has provided dear friends we have taken with us from each home.  These are the kinds of friends that are in the delivery room with you because your husband is deployed and you need to give birth with out him.  They come over and bathe your babies for you when you have the stomach flu or are pregnant... again.  We hold each other when we hear that another pilot has lost his life and we are devastated for the fellow wife who has been left alone.  They go shopping with you.  We watch each others kids when the movers have come  and our husbands are conveniently "out of the country".  We help hang curtains, move furniture, build storage sheds and make dinner.  We watch each others kids when one has decided to jump of a top bunk and break his arm thus necessitating a trip to the ER... Where by the way, they know you too:)  They know the place to shop for the perfect antique Obi for your home.  We pick up little treats for one another because we know it will perk each other up.  We study God's word together.  We lead ministries together.  We laugh and we cry together.  We are separated by moves and miles, but one thing never changes... the bond of friendship.  The friendships I have made in my Marine Corps family are the kinds that when you are finally reunited, it is as if no time has passed.  You pick right up where you left off and so do your kids.

I had a wonderful opportunity to travel to Pinehurst, NC to visit my girl Kim whose man is deployed right now.  We were joined by our sweet friend Lisa and her kiddos.  Lisa flew out from Oklahoma on a whim to be with us.  What a treasure God has given me in these women.  We were friends in Okinawa and have maintained our friendship even through the separation of PCSing.  We laughed and talked to all hours in the morning... even receiving texts from our teenagers that we were "too loud"!  How is that for a table turner?  It was a wonderfully relaxing weekend of renewing precious friendships.  It was also a reminder for me that God loves us so much.  To prove that love, He surrounds us with friends that will last our life time here on earth and will continue when we reach eternity.  Oh how I love Him!

Keeping score!!!
 S. choosing just the right ball!

 Just cause I liked this one:)

 OK... Andrew is a little too competitive, not to mention, bragging about your success does not win you the girl!
 Beaten by 10 year old L!
 Lisa and her darling daughter!
 The bowlers (minus Kevin who was away doing Passport to Purity with his Dad)
 Boys...
 Silly S.
 The Girls
 Missing Kevin formation...
 The best group shot we could manage:)
 I got Andrew and J to agree to this photo just IN CASE the actually do get married someday.  I will want it for the rehearsal dinner slide show.  Just thinking ahead...  To be fair to J... Andrew is sitting on his foot in an effort to appear taller;)
 The Moms and my sweet friends Kim, Lisa and me

2 comments:

John and Carrie said...

What a beautiful post!

Bo and John Payne said...

God is so good to have given you these wonderful friends and for them to have YOU!
Hugs!
Bo

 
Design by Deluxe Designs