Our Family

Our Family

November 23, 2007

Turkey Feathers

On the last day before the Thanksgiving break the boys came in from school and dumped their assortment of backpacks, lunch pails and papers in the living room before grabbing a football and heading for the front yard. As I was cleaning up the mess I stumbled upon Sam's Thanksgiving Turkey. You have all seen these elementary school projects where you write what you are thankful for on each of the Turkey's feathers. He had carefully filled out each of the bright colored feathers with all the things that were precious to him to include: Mommy, Daddy, God, Mrs. Rawls (his teacher), Family, Canyon and Skyler (his best buddies),and of course his Nintendo Gameboy DS. The big chunky first grade handwriting made me smile as well as the backwards D's and S's. I know they need to be corrected, but for right now, they still make me smile. My heart also smiles to see that he has such tender things to be thankful for... except maybe the DS....

I have been thinking over the past few days, what would I fill in on my Turkey Feathers? After days of thinking on this I realized that my Turkey would hardly be able to move with all the feathers I would have placed on his chunky little body. My feathers would include many different blessings: First and foremost would be the Saving relationship I have with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Thank God for the gift of His Son who makes me all I am today. Everything good I have or I am comes from that One unending source of Everlasting Love. For that I am humbly grateful. My next feather would be for my sweet husband. No one makes me laugh more than this amazing man. He was most certainly designed just for me. He knows me better than I know myself and stands by me when life is great and when it throws some curve balls. I might even have to give him 2 Turkey Feathers because he is really cute too:) My next three feathers would be for each of my sons. Each one brings something uniquely special to our family. Andrew's quick wit and unique perspective on life most certainly keeps us on our toes. This is the year we have started to see him come into his own. His strong personality and convictions will serve him well for the rest of his life. Kevin's quiet nature is quickly followed by his passion for what is right. He does not say much, but when he does you listen because on more than one occasion, he has knocked my socks off! Then there is Sam. Sam is someone you just long to be around because of his fun personality. He adapts well to most every situation and is everyone's friend. I do not think there are enough feathers I could put on my Turkey for the thanksgiving for the salvation of each one of these little boys. Each one has come to a Saving Knowledge of Jesus Christ. For that, thanks is just not enough! My next feathers would be for my parents, the people who gave me a loving and supportive home and taught me right from wrong and love me right where I am. Not many people have the fortune of living in a home where you were loved and cared for as much as I was (and still am). They have provided an awesome example of what it is to be a husband, wife, father, mother and friend. I would also have feathers for my brother Jim and my sister Shannon. Feathers representing friendship and love and funny memories of growing up in a remote town in upstate NY. I would never want to build an underground fort to escape the evil ravages of the Shaffer kids with anyone but you all. I would have feathers for the families that each of them have become; for my sister in law Amy and brother in law Carlos, for Aidan, Molly, Rory P, Maggie Bag of Dough, Sofie and Olivia. I would have feathers for my Husbands family. There would be feathers for my In laws, Bo and John, who really are more like a second set of parents than the some what notorious word "in laws". They too have provided Scott and I with such a neat role model of how to be happily married and raise children who are confident in who they are. There would be feathers for Sarah and Bill, Scott's siblings. For my fellow in law in the in law club... Brad! For Brad and Sarah's new little blessing due to join us in May, for the relationship we all share that time and distance does nothing to destroy. I would have too many feathers to count for the friendships I have made over the years, from high school and college friends whom I have never lost touch, for the dear friends we have made each place we have ever been stationed. There are friends that have come when I have been sick and my husband is deployed that have come and sat with me and bathed my children, done crazy road trips, laughed until we cried and served as a surrogate family when I have been so far from my own. God has blessed me here indeed. There are more feathers too numerous to count, but know this... I know I am blessed.

I hope that when you fill in the feathers of your own Turkey you will see all of the little ways God has blessed your journey most especially with the people He places in your path. Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless you all!!!

1 comment:

Carlos, Shannon, Sofia and Olivia said...

Amen! Kelly, what a beautiful and thought provoking reflection. Yes, we are all truly blessed beyond measure!

Shannon

 
Design by Deluxe Designs