One full week is under our belts! We actually started a couple of weeks ago with just Latin and Logic. Online classes began this week as well as the rest of the classes. It went... well. We all have a huge learning curve to overcome, but in the end I think we will all be the better for it!
Scott and I decided on using Veritas Press for a majority of the boys' curriculum. Kevin and Sam take Latin and Logic together. Both boys are using Saxon Math (Sam 7/6 and Kevin Pre Algebra) and take their math classes online. Sam uses VP for the rest. Kevin also takes an Omnibus Ancient History (Literature, History and Theology) class on line. The remainder of his classes are also VP. He does use Apologia Science as well.
I am SOOOO happy with the curriculum. I will say if you are going to use it, your student really needs to be a strong reader. There is no shortage of reading to be completed each week. We are all getting used to the boys being home all day, every day. I think each week will get easier for all of us.
This was an interesting road for us to travel. We felt the Lord really leading us towards this for a while now. We are just trying to be obedient:) We also know we are not staying here in FL. If we were to move back to a major city with strong school systems, the boys would be quite far behind. I met with the school counselor here (Who was LOVELY!!!) They certainly do the best with what they have. We simply want our boys to have more. Even more than that, we want to be in the center of God's will for our family. Although this has been a challenge, I have peace that we are doing exactly what He desires for our family.
Enjoy our first week of learning!!!!
Kevin starting Omnibus!
Sam Cracking Open His First of Many Novels this Year!
Kidnapped
by Robert Louis Stevenson
A Little Lesson in Density
Lab Notes...
And Kate Reading to Her Plastic Broccoli
Good times...










5 comments:
Just wanted you to know that I love your blog. Your family reminds me so much of mine. We also have three boys at home, 19, 13 and 10. (Also have married daughter.) We are in process of bringing home our 3 1/2 year old daughter from China. We are also new to homeschooling this year. Just wanted you to know I am following along. :)
~ Joy in Denver
We have also used several things from Veritas and have been pleased, we love all the reading. Also, do I spy Fancy Nancy being read to the broccoli? My girls just love Nancy! :) I wish we were closer for a play date.
I am thrilled school is going so well! I will certainly be talking to you when I get to 'big' kid school. :) SO great!!! Love seeing Kate in action too! Blessings and love!
So interesting to read about how you navigate your "nomad" life by making sure your boys have the best education. Wonderful that Latin is included for them; it seems to have gone by the wayside.
Lindy
homeschooling rocks!! And, you get all that extra bonding time as a family!!! Love the pics!!:)
Post a Comment