As the days pass, we continue to get bombarded with arguments that call for greater gun regulations, banning automatic and semi automatic weapons, to out right reversing the second amendment. I have heard cries for more care for the mentally ill to watch lists of anyone who might be a "potential threat". While we may need to RATIONALLY look at some of these solutions, I cannot help but think these are all man made band aids on a wound that requires God Sized first aide. We can put all the regulations in place that we want. It may temporarily make ourselves "feel better" and like we have done something to alleviate the problem. Until. Until the next Columbine or Sandy Hook rips through the air waves leaving us grieving and wondering how this could happen.
Tragic, sickening and heart wrenching events are going to continue to happen until we really look and truly see where we are failing as a country, a community and as individuals. We so desperately need God. We so desperately need a Saviour. As I have been grappling with this glaring oversight by the media, pundits and various other sources I came across a blog post by an adoption blogger I adore: nogreaterjoymom.com. She posted an excerpt from a facebook post of a friend of hers that put into words what I was struggling to say:
"We teach our children that there is no God, that morality is tractable and reducible. So what do you expect? We teach our children that there are no losers, that everyone wins. So when life teaches them failure they can't handle it. So what do you expect? We teach our children that losing touch with reality is "recreational". So when they do drugs, it's OK. So what do you expect? We teach our children that you don't have to earn respect, it's automatic. Then they get frustrated when they don't get respected. So what do you expect? We teach our children that it's OK to kill babies in the womb. Then shouldn't it be OK to kill children in the school? So what do you expect? We teach our children that it's wrong to pray on the football field, on the basketball court on the baseball diamond. So they learn to prey on each other. So what do you expect? We teach our children that the truth can be offensive. So they speak lies and pretend. So what do you expect? We teach our children that reverence to things in antiquity is passe, so history is left to obscurity. So what do you expect? We give our children television where every form of deprivation is acceptable. So they grow up depraved. So what do you expect? Sadly, we can expect more Newtowns in the near future. We are reaping what we have sown. Children learn whether we want them to or not. Don't blame the guns, blame our teachings." Shared by Doug Billings.
So, what am I left with after reading this? What can I do? I can "Train up a Child in the way he should go so that when he is old he will not depart from it" Proverbs 22:6. I can train up my next generation in the Truth that is Jesus Christ. I can teach that there is a morally right and a morally wrong way to approach every situation. "What would Jesus do" is more than a funny quip on an arm band.
I can also look at myself; my own relationship with God. Am I truly reconciled with Him? Am I doing what is right and pleasing in His sight? Am I spending time with Him daily in prayer and meditation. Have I truly, and honestly made Him Lord of MY life?
What's more, I can pray for our nation. Our nation is spiraling deeper and deeper into sin. We are becoming a depraved nation who has turned its heart and its back on the One Who is the Bringer of Peace. We cry out to Him in times of great heartbreak. Even our "PC" President breathed His Holy name in order to comfort the victims of this horrible tragedy. We need to do more than to turn to Him in times of tragic loss. We need to constantly seek His Face as a nation in all things. We have systematically removed God from all parts of our culture and it is time that we rise up and systematically put Him back. Honestly, I do not think we will see an end to senseless tragedy until we do.
What we witnessed last Friday was pure evil; Satan using the body of a very troubled young man to carry out his plan. His plan includes pulling us further and further away from the Truth and from the One who loves us and is waiting with open arms to return to Him.
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14







1 comment:
Beautiful post! I heard someone say, Teach them to be Jesus! That's all that is important!!! Love you heart! XOXO
Post a Comment