Over the next few months, I am participating in an On Line Book Study! You simply have to love the Internet! Please indulge me as I share my thoughts here in Bloggy land!
I am so excited to get started reading this book by Pastor and Author Timothy Keller. I love to read books that help me grow and stretch my faith. I have not gotten much further than the introduction and I am already challenged.
This week's question for discussion:
Question: Can you relate to what Keller says about the need for Christians to dissect their personal and cultural doubts? If so, what are your most pervasive doubts? If not, to what do you attribute your confidence?
YES!!! I feel as a Christian I absolutely need to dissect both personal and cultural doubts. Both dissections are instrumental in growing my faith and my relationship with Christ.
I will begin with the dissection of cultural beliefs. There seems to be a greater and greater schism today between a Christian World View and a Secular World View. The debates grow more and more heated and divided by the moment. Keller notes in his introduction, "All doubts, however skeptical and cynical they may seem, are really a set of alternate beliefs" (Keller, xviii). This is a true statement. As a believer, I must be willing to listen to alternate opinions on morality, religion etc. I feel this is important for several reasons. First, knowing the how and the why the "other side" believes as they do helps me be more empathetic and understanding of where a person is coming from. It allows for greater respect of humanity whether we agree or disagree. Secondly, engaging in this dissection allows me to have further faith in what I believe. "Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day" 2 Timothy 1:12. As my dear, sweet mentor and friend LaRose says, "You have to know it in your knower."
The personal dissection is where it starts to step on my proverbial toes a little! Yes, as believers, we need to dissect our personal doubts. I swear my personal mantra has been, "Lord I believe, Help my unbelief!!!!" Mark 9:24. It is normal and natural to have doubts in our faith. If we did not question then how would our faith be any more than rote memorization or inherited from our parents and society. Yes, to doubt is healthy. To leave the doubt unquestioned and undirected, however, will wreak havoc on our faith. We must be willing to take that doubt to the Lord and seek His face in all things; asking Him to make clear the obstacles standing in our way of a pure, undefiled faith. Leaving the doubt unchecked gives Satan a foothold that I, for one, do not want him to have.
So there you have it... My deep thoughts on our very first question of our awesome new study!!!
May 8, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
Well said.
Post a Comment