That is a question I hear a lot from people who are struggling with their faith. It is an honest question and frankly, one that makes sense. It is also one I have grappled with myself from time to time. We do not have to look far to see hurt and suffering that seems so painful and needless. Ask the mother of one of the children who lost their lives in the tornado in Moore, OK. Why God!?! I found myself asking that very same question this week.
It is at these moments of suffering and pain that our faith is tested. What will you do when it all seems to be coming down around you. Where or to whom will you turn?
Our question this week was: Question: Can you remember a time you endured suffering or experienced evil that turned out for good?
Overall, I have been blessed beyond what I ever have ever deserved. I have not lost a very close loved one save my grandparents when I was much younger. No one in my family has been critically ill. We have not experienced a complete upheaval in our family in the form of betrayal or abuse. Praise the Lord!
This does not mean there has not been suffering. I have lost two precious babies that I will meet one day in heaven. There have been other trials and struggles through out my 42 years. These struggles and pain occur in the day in and day out decisions I make and just plain life. What will I do, to whom will I turn when all the little stuff of life piles up and all of the sudden I am nestled under a very heavy burden?
I have a love hate relationship with the verse: "All things work together for good for those who are called according to His purpose" Romans 8:28. I love it because it is true... so very true. I hate it because sometimes it sounds trite in the middle of suffering! Let's focus on the true part! God's Word is so gloriously true!
Therefore, the answer to the question, for me, is twofold. First, WHEN the trials and suffering of this life happen I need to KNOW what is TRUTH. To borrow from Beth Moore, I must know with out doubt that God is Who He Says He is and that He can do what He says He can do. God 's Word says, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet he did not sin" Heb 4:15. God knows our suffering. He has been there and experienced the first hand pain on a very human level. When He died on the cross for us, He took on all of the pain, suffering, evil and sin. We have a God Who knows. In the midst of my struggle and heartbreak, I know that is true.
Secondly... well, it's Romans 8:28. He really does work all things for good. Each time I have walked through a valley, I have seen beauty rise. I may still not understand the why completely, but I can trust that it is true. I see it in the eyes of my daughter. Abandonment is one the the deepest wounds a person can suffer. It was the very reason Jesus asked His Father to "let this cup pass from Him" in the agony of the Garden. Jesus was not afraid to die. He knew that was His purpose from the very beginning. He addressed it on many occasions with those He loved. No, Jesus wanted the cup to pass because the thought of being abandoned and out of the presence of His Father was almost too much for His heart to bear. Kate has suffered this loss as well. She lost her first mama and daddy. She lost her China mama and daddy. She lost her culture and her language. So much suffering. So much loss. But God. He was Kate's great High Priest. He knows the pain of her deepest wound and He has been ever present to bind those wounds. He will continue to be present to pour His healing balm over them. Beauty will Rise because that is Who He is. All the time. For all of us.







1 comment:
I, too, have often thought that Jesus is the only One to fill the holes left by my kids' birth parents.
So grateful that we DO have a high priest that understands, sympathizes and intercedes on our behalf!
Post a Comment