Whew! I am just now recovering!!! We had a wonderful time visiting the great city of Hong Kong! It was my last hoorah with my dear friend Cheri Moberg who will be moving to FL next month. We ended up going with 4 other ladies from my work out group. I have never been with a group of women where we all got along so well and laughed so hard. I think Marcia and I counted laughing to the point of tears at least 5 times a day!!! Do not worry if you think we might have embarrassed the American name.... We told all we encountered we were from Canada:) Here are some great pictures from our trip.
We arrived in Hong Kong late Saturday afternoon. We met our good friend Johnny who is a local jeweler and a regular, longstanding vendor at our gift shop on Okinawa. He is just one of the most delightful men. He picked us up and showed us how to use the metro without looking like complete idiots, familiarized us with where we were and took us for a fantastic, authentic Chinese dinner... this was no Manchu Wak!!!! It was AMAZING!!! He naturally took the opportunity to take us to his shop and let us get some "Good Deals" on our jewelry.
The next morning we got up early and had a disgusting hotel breakfast consisting of franks and beans, watery eggs, toast and foul smelling hard boiled eggs. Just Divine... We headed out on our first day to the country of Macau. Yes, Macau is it's very own country just an hour ferry ride from Hong Kong. We navigated the city metro system (with our fearless map reader, Marcia whom we all feel would make an amazing contestant on the Amazing race!) and made it to the Pier. Macau is a neat little country that was originally owned by the Portuguese, so there is much European influence in the original buildings. We arrived in Macau and met this little Chinese man named "Billy" who had a "great deal" on a driver to tour us around the major sites of this small country. We decided to take him up on his offer. Our guide was not all that friendly, spoke little English and had an attitude that would make a New Yorker cry, but she had the requisite van that seated 6 passengers, so we took her...
Here we are at what she told us was the "Gate to China". I am not so sure this is true, but it sure looks like a nice gate! I am posing with my friends Marcia and Lana.
After visiting said Gate to China, we headed to an old Portuguese Fort. It was very beautiful and offered some breathtaking views of the country. Cherie and I decided it was the perfect opportunity for a picture with a cannon. I am sure you will agree:) Behind us is a large building they are constructing in the shape of a flame... Interesting!
Shortly after we visited an old Catholic church where we found the security guard sound asleep...
We were also able to grab a group photo in front of one of Macau's famous structures. This needle is famous for its crazy bungee jumping. Apparently it holds the record for the highest bungee jump. We witnessed some crazy soul take the leap! Pictured left to right is Margaret, Marcia, Lana, myself, Amy and Cherie.
After our visit to Macau we ended our day back in Hong Kong, shopping more night markets and finally at Hard Rock Cafe, Hong Kong for the most delicious Cheese Burger and Margarita I have ever had!!!!
The next morning we rose early to head out to the world famous Victoria's Peak. It was so amazing!!! We took a cable car ride to the top of the mountain. I am not kidding when I tell you that the car traveled up at close to a 75 - 80 degree angle!!! I prayed all the way up!!! The trip up was well worth the awesome view. Once we got to the top I was suckered into having my picture taken in a rick shaw... Enjoy this $2 photo!!!
Here is just one picture of the view from a top Victoria's Peak...
We also had the chance to grab a little lunch at Bubba Gumps! I had never eaten at this place before and it was a real treat! Some of the best clam chowder I have had in years!!! We loved the sign on our table. When you needed your waiter you flipped the sign to "Stop Forrest Stop". If all was well you flipped your sign to say "Run Forrest Run"!
We spent the remainder of this day taking a life threatening ride on a double decker bus to Stanley Market for some more intense shopping! We also rode the bus back into Hong Kong for dinner at OutBack Steak house and drinks on the beautiful Hong Kong waterfront!
The Next day we fit in some more shopping before we headed back to Okinawa. We were also able to get one last look at Hong Kong Harbor in the day light! What a breath takeing sight!!
There is so much more I could share, but so little Blog time! Suffice to say, it was a wonderful trip with some very dear friends...







1 comment:
What a great trip!
Hugs, Bo
Post a Comment