One of my favorite 4th of July traditions is attending the Argyle 4th of July parade. We have been attending this parade for most of my life. My first memory of this time honored tradition occurred in 1976 when the town of Argyle celebrated the bicentennial of our great Nation! I was dressed in traditional colonial garb. I have other memories of the Big Parade as well. I remember my Brownie troop marching proudly down the street. I remember my softball team, Punk Liver Pro Shop (Not kidding on that name by the way!) riding the little league trailer pulled by a tractor. One year I won the coveted 1st prize in the 4th of July bike decorating contest! I also remember taking my then boyfriend, Scott Payne, to the Big parade. I knew he was the man for me when he delighted in t fact that if you stood at a certain point along the parade route you could see the parade not only once but TWICE!!! There are many special things about the Argyle Parade. Here are just a few....
Poised and ready for the parade to begin.
Revolutionary War actors overtaking the local Mobile Station...
Only in Argyle...
One thing I regret about the Argyle Parade is that I was never crowned the Dairy Princess. My Dad was a Systems Analyst... Not a Diary Farmer so I did not qualify. Here is this year's winner complete with cow.... It still stings.
Here we are... Enjoying the day!!!







1 comment:
USA at its best! Looks like it was a great time!!
Love, Grandma BoBo
Post a Comment