Our Family

Our Family

April 20, 2012

A Visit with Grammy and Papa

We were so thrilled to have my mom and dad come for a visit this week!  They had not seen Katie since the day we got home from China!  Needless to say... Lots has changed around 
the Ol' House of Payne!

We spent a lot of time just laying low at the house and the park...


 Papa took Andrew out for a little driving lesson!!!  Yes, that IS him behind the wheel!!!

On Monday, Scott took us on a tour of the Pentagon.  Sorry we do not have pictures of that.  No camera's allowed.  I was dying because I kept thinking of all the really cool shots I could have gotten!  Tuesday took us to Arlington National Cemetery.  I have been several times for funerals, but never had I toured the hallowed grounds.  I was so humbled passing tomb stone after tomb stone;  a solemn reminder  that Freedom is not Free.  Rolling hills filled with a tangible remembrance of our greatest Americans.  We are proud to know a handful of these heroes.  How my heart prayed for each family.

Grammy, Papa and Kate on the tram!

I am currently taking an online Photography class with Lisa.  This week's assignment was practicing Depth of Field.  
This week's submission for deep DOF

I almost went with this one.  Either way, I was so moved by the vastness and the depth of loss.

This is my submission for Shallow DOF

I almost went with this one...

Old Guard

Changing of the Guard
This ceremony is truly magnificent!
This tomb is guarded 24 hours a day.  Every day.  
A tangible way to honor our dead.
A remembrance that many are still missing.
Humbling.



Katie was so very good during the entire ceremony!

What made the day even more special was meeting one of my oldest and dearest friends!   Mary and I met in the 8th grade and have been friends ever since:)  It was so awesome to spend the day with her and her husband and ADORABLE boys.

The view of Washington DC from Robert E Lee's home

The Kennedy Family


 Awesome lunch at Hamburger Hamlet in Crystal City

Thanks Grammy and Papa for an awesome visit!

1 comment:

Everything Beautiful Shay said...

What an awesome trip you had~ LOVED every single photo!!! Blessings and love!

 
Design by Deluxe Designs