Our Family

Our Family

January 19, 2008

Book Club with the CBC...

Last night was our monthly book club (A.K.A. a great excuse to try a new restaurant!!!) Each month a different lady from our Cul De Sac selects a different book to read and we meet to discuss it a month later. Even though our husbands are not entirely sure we discuss said book, let it be known that a FULL 24 minutes of our discussion last evening concerned our recent reading of A Thousand Splendid Suns!!! This month's organizer decided to host Book Club at a really cool Japanese restaurant called Tonneau or "The Barrel Restaurant" to we Americans. We often do not know the actual names of places we frequent due to our lack of knowledge in the Kanji reading department. We often label places by their description or location. Giving people directions to these places also makes for interesting conversations and descriptions as well: "Take a right at the Monkey holding a hammer. Drive four kilometers until you reach the smiling sun face. The 100 yen store is on your left next to the Big Pig." These are actual conversations. Well, last evening's restaurant bears the name Barrel Restaurant as the building that houses it looks EXACTLY like a beer barrel. I am not kidding... see for yourself:

Although the outside was funny looking the inside was amazing! We were seated at a foot well table and waiting for us was this tasty treat:
I am not 100% sure what it is other than to tell you it was some sort of tempura served with a root of some sort and a tiny little cup of what I believe was Jasmine Tea... YuM!!!

Here are the illustrious members of the CBC (Cul De Sac Book Club):

This had to be to most AMAZING Avocado salad ever!!!!
I had my favorite, tuna sashimi... My friend obviously does not share my amazing taste in sushi!!!
Check out the fish that you got to see while using the ladies room! They did freak one of my neighbors out in that she had the feeling she was being watched!

I was also very impressed with the size of these ICE CUBE BALLS!!!
Finally, a picture of this adorable kitchen!
For those living here on Okinawa, I HIGHLY recommend this place. I need to see if they are open for lunch. It is literally a 5-10 min drive from church... maybe a new post Bible Study treat!!!

2 comments:

Carlos, Shannon, Sofia and Olivia said...

Looks like you are making great use of the new dedicated blog camera! I like the new look of your page.

Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite restaraunts!!! We try to find any excuse to go there. Next time you go, along with whatever else you order you MUST get the Korean Beef. It's Fabulous!!!!!

They're not open at lunch, pity. And for your friends with kids, it's NOT kid friendly. No high chairs and keeping kids restrained in those chairs is a task. No joke--we used to take Bella's car seat in there with us when she was a baby and we'd set it at our table and strap her in it!

anyhow--I love that you went there. I am amazed at how few people know about it.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs