Letting Go...
Today marked a first in motherhood for me. Andrew left for his first two night camp out with the Boys Scouts today. As we were carefully packing his back pack last night, my thoughts drifted to a recent blog entry by my friend The Ark Builder. She had a beautiful entry about being in control and learning (sometimes the hard way) Who is really in control. I know part of my nervousness about this leap in motherhood came from not being the one in control. Scott is away at a conference (boondoggle) in the States, so this is really the first time that Andrew has not gone camping with his Dad. Mind you, I was not about to pitch a tent... I believe most of you are well aware of my feelings about tent camping. I just knew if Scott were there I would still have SOME input. Read: nag him to death about all that Andrew should and should not do, what he should and should not eat, was he warm enough, was he playing too close to the fire, did he fall in the ocean and consequently suffer from hypothermia... Oh there would have been lots of "Briefing" going on! Instead, I need to trust. And, I need to let go a little. Andrew has been blessed with GREAT leadership over the past few years. He is well prepared:) More than anything, this is a chance to let him gain some confidence and some independence in this new venture called Boy Scouting. So the white knuckled grip that I have on my first born has loosened (just a little) because I know the more I let go, the tighter his Father holds on!
Andrew-packed up and ready to go!!!! Yes, he REALLY needed the stocking cap! (I know some of you were thinking over protective!!!) It is only 59 degrees out and he is camping on the beach!
Excited Webelos!!! They look so grown up!!!
1 comment:
Lovely, KP! I'll bet he has a great time!
God Bless,
Jane
Post a Comment