While the ceremony was lovely and the kids were pleased with their hard earned awards, I left the assembly rather disturbed. There were many awards that were subjective in nature. Each of the 8th grade faculty was to select one student they felt was their most outstanding student. They each were able to present their student with a certificate of acknowledgement. There were a couple of other awards like these that were left to teacher input and not based upon grade point average alone. I feel these awards are wonderful as there is so much more to a student than just his or her grade point average. I feel these awards can represent these characteristics. What bothered me was that out of over 20 awards given, only three of the recipients were boys. The remainder of the awards went to girls. I was truly flabbergasted. I have many opinions of the feminizing of our education system and how in recent years the system appears to work directly against boys. I will not get into that now:) I just wanted to state several characteristics about boys I adore. I know I am biased having three sons, but that also makes me pretty good at recognizing these fine characteristics! To reference John Eldridge...
Boys are Wild at Heart
They seek a battle to fight.
They desire an adventure to live.
They long for a beauty to rescue.
Boys are...
FUNNY
curious about everything
honest- there is no beating around the bush with boys
They are risk takers! (What else drives a boy onto the roof of your second story home with nothing but a jump rope anchored to your brother watching from his bedroom window? True Story.)
They are quick to forget
Easily forgive
Drama is at a minimum
They are smart and logical
They are passionate
They are loving
They are loyal
I love boys and would not trade mine for the world!
My beautiful, beautiful boy...
(Yes. He really is almost as tall as me!!!!!)
Tell me all about your boy!!!







6 comments:
Well stated Kelly. I can't wait to watch my boys grow.
Oh Kelly how I LOVED this post! As momma to three amazing boys you were just preaching to the choir!! Congrats to Andrew on all his achievements and congrats to you and Scott for raising such wonderful BOYS!!
Yea Boys! I have 2 wonderful sons! They are all your said and so much more. They are complex and simple all at the same time. LOVE LOVE LOVE Boys!!!!
Kelly, I've recently heard more and more about the challenges that boys are having in the education system. (I'm talking about smart, well-behaved boys here)
I think this post was so well written that you should consider sharing it with the school principle. Just something for her or him to ponder.
Jill G
who hasn't had a little guy in the house for a long time and is so excited to soon be bringing her son home!
I have three boys and 2 girls and until we moved here to TX, didn't see much difference. But here, they focus on sports, which is soooo sad and mainly the boys get the awards. Now scholastically they are about equal but it is so lopsided in the spors are.
Enjoy following your blog, we were military for 18 years, submarine force.
Looking forward to following you to your daughter in China. Ours is 5 now and I would so love to go back, but hunny will age out soon.
BOYS. You gotta love 'em. Their loud obnoxious behavior, their silly noises, their abundant energy, the never-ending questions. Their sweet, sensitive spirits, the morning hugs and bedtime snuggles. Their belly laughs, their inquisitive nature, their creativity. Our family wouldn't be the same without them. Watching my 3 boys grow is entertaining, {tiring} and worth every single second.
Post a Comment